Welcome to my domain...if you dare...

Welcome to my blog about life as a writer and the craziness it involves with struggles of daily life. Make yourself at home but only if you don't mind a little messiness from time to time. This isn't the Home and Garden blog or Martha Stewart so don't expect cute little crafts with homemade goodies. That's not happening in the world of vamps, weres, and other things that go bump in the night...well...maybe homemade blood cakes topped with 'scream a la cream' sweetness along with the sexy alpha males who serve it up.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday... A New Year with Self Growth and Goals.



With the end of one year and the approach of 2011 rapidly coming upon us, it's no surprise that many people reflect on set goals and accomplishments.  The thought of a new year can bring the aspect of new and exciting endeavors.  Some call these 'New Year's Resolutions'; yet, I like to view them as self improvement goals whether they are for my personal or professional life. 

I've learned over the years to not set some unrealistic goals; such as being a size 2, writing the perfect manuscript the first time around, or having a perfect hair day every day.  It's just not going to happen.  Dreaming is good and setting goals is fabulous but let's be real.

However, it doesn't mean that I stop working out and constantly eat junk food with the idea of no possibility of reaching a size 2.  It just means that I continually strive to reach the best I can be in a healthier body.  That healthy body for me may be a size 8 or size 10 and that's ok.  It also means that when it comes to my writing, I continue to work on improving my craft by taking writing courses, challenges, and attending workshops and writers' meetings.



I learn by doing and I improve by being consistent with my goals.  I don't give up.  I may become frustrated and overwhelmed at times, but stopping and giving up is not an option.  Instead I take one day at a time with constant and continuous baby steps.  These never ending steps forward will lead to a giant and wide span of growth and improvement over a expanded period of time. 



So I urge you all to push forward and be positive.  Don't reflect too long on the negative but learn from it and make adjustments to what you want different in your life.  Remember to be consistent with your goals and continue to strive for them but don't berate yourself too badly when you fall short on a particular day.  Pick yourself up and start it again because eventually the goal will be reached if you don't throw in the towel and give up. 

May you all have a glorious and prosperous new year!

HUGS,

JD  :)

1 comment:

  1. Great words to start off the new year, JD! I will keep these in mind as I begin my new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete